African American History Month
February is African American History Month, also known as Black History Month.
- African American History Month — “The Library of Congress, National Archives and Records Administration, National Endowment for the Humanities, National Gallery of Art, National Park Service, Smithsonian Institution and United States Holocaust Memorial Museum join in paying tribute to the generations of African Americans who struggled with adversity to achieve full citizenship in American society.”
- Museum of African-American History — Learn more about this Boston Museum and the The Black Heritage Trail®
- Black History Month — A collection of biographies, maps, speeches and more from the History Channel website
- 50 Years of Black History — From the civil rights movement to the election of President Barack Obama, Henry Louis Gates Jr., The Root’s editor-in-chief, presents a timeline of the highlights of African-American history.
- Encyclopedia Britannica’s Guide to Black History — Includes brief biographies of prominent African-Africans, audio and video clips, a timeline of events, and more
- Black History at HarpWeek.com — A collection of articles, images and more from the pages of Harper’s Weekly
- Black History Month — InfoPlease’s Black History Month spotlight feature includes biographies of notable African-Americans, a Civil Rights timeline, and more
- Road to Equality : Are We There Yet? — A collection of news stories and features on Black History from CNN
- Images of African Americans from the Nineteenth Century — A large and well-organized collection from the Digital Schomburg, New York Public Library
- African-American Odyssey — The American Memory project of the Library of Congress presents this overview of African-American history, with many portraits, prints, and other historical illustrations
- Black History Month for Kids — Some beautifully illustrated books for kids about Martin Luther King, Jr. and African American History all available from the NOBLE catalog.
Lesson Plans and Activities
- Black History Month Lessons & Resources — Flexible lesson plans that can be adapted for different grade levels from the National Education Association
- African-American History: Black History Month — Activities for children from the Enchanted Learning website
- Culture and Change : Black History in America — Resources for the classroom from Scholastic.com
- Black History Month — Articles, quizzes and other resources for different grade levels from FamilyEducation.com
- Celebrate Black History — Lesson plans, activities and games from Educationworld.com