On July 14, 1789, the people of Paris rose up and marched on the Bastille, a state prison that symbolized the absolutism of the French monarchy. The storming of the Bastille symbolizes liberty, democracy and the struggle against oppression.
- Boston’s Bastille Day Celebration — The French Library And Cultural Center/Alliance Francaise holds an annual celebration
- The 14th of July : The Bastille day — The history of Bastille Day from the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs Website
- Declaration of the Rights of Man, 1789 — English translation from the Avalon Project, Yale University
- The Marseillaise — The story of the French National Anthem with lyrics and audio files from the Modern History Sourcebook
- Bastille Day: The French celebrate their Fourth of July — From the InfoPlease website
- Bastille Day Book List — Selected non-fiction and fiction works about the French Revolution.