Welcome to the Swampscott Public Library Children's Room
The Children's Room at the Swampscott Public Library is located in the lower level of the library. It is a wonderful space for children ages infant to pre-teen and their parents to learn and grow in all kinds of fun ways.
Winter/Spring Story Programs
Learning to grow through story & song.
Mondays at 10:30 A.M. for ages 2 to 4
Wednesdays at 10:30 A.M. for ages 1 to 3
Programs will be ending for the season the week of May 12.
A story time program that is perfect for groups of siblings or friends. This activity consists of stories, songs and finger plays and action rhymes designed to encourage early literacy. Librarians will present 20 to 30 minutes of stories and songs that will tickle, delight, and amuse. After Storybook Fun the children are encouraged to play and socialize. All ages can join in the fun!
All children attending this program must be accompanied by a parent or other adult who will sit with them and participate in the activities. No registration is needed.
There will be no programs during school vacations or when Swampscott Public schools are not in session.
OPEN PLAY GROUP.
Fridays at 10:30 A.M.
Parents with children ages 6 months to 2 years are invited to come to the library for an open play group. No formal program is presented, just a chance for the little ones to come to the library and enjoy the puppets, bead mazes, and board books. This is a great opportunity for new moms to connect with other families. No registration is necessary.
1000 Books before Kindergarten
“Thanks to the Southington Library & Museum for the use of this logo”
We are starting a new program for young children called 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten.
1. This program is designed for families with children birth through age 5.
2. Sign up in the Children’s Room to receive your reading journal (only 1 journal will be given per family) and book bag.
3. Record each book read. Repetition is good, so you may record a favorite book more than once.
4. Pick out books you enjoy and have fun reading together (use expression!). Find a time when you and your child are in a good mood to read. Reading together should never be a chore.
5. Each time you read 100 books, bring in your reading journal to the library. You will receive:
- two stickers – one for your book and one for the library wall
- your next set of pages for your reading journal
- at 500 books, you will also receive a library magnet.
- Visit the library often and discover the wonderful variety of books to check out and read together.
6. You may read books from anywhere: the library, from home, preschool, etc. You may also count books read at Story time programs at the library or school.
7. Don’t be daunted! Just 3 books a day amounts to 1000 books in 1 year, and this program is designed to give you time over a few years to meet your goal.
After finishing 1000 Books, your child will receive a certificate of achievement and an invitation to a “graduation” party in January. During the party the children who have completed the program during the previous year will be honored with a special story time, snack and a group photo.
Once you have read 1000 books, you are finished with the program. Please continue to read together, and feel free to add your own pages to the journal if you wish.
"Thanks to the Southington Library & Museum for allowing us the use of this graphic"
Tumblebooks: ebooks for kids
The Library now subscribes to Tumblebooks, which are animated, talking picture books for children. Tumblebooks start with an existing children’s book then add motion, music, and narration to make a new experience that children are sure to enjoy. The collection includes story books, read-a-longs, games, and non fiction books.
Click on Tumblebooks to get started enjoying these great books. To log in you will need a library card and password. You can get these at the Main Desk of the Library if you don’t already have them. You will also need the Flash plugin which can be downloaded for free at Adobe. You need to be a resident of Swampscott to access Tumblebooks.