National Autism Awareness Month
April is National Autism Awareness Month. This observance was initiated to “highlight the growing need for concern and awareness about autism.” You can show your support on World Autism Awareness Day, April 2nd, by wearing blue.
- Autism Society — The Austism Society site is a clearinghouse of information about autism and provides lots of ideas for observing National Autism Awareness Month.
- Autism Speaks — Autism Speaks is “the nation’s largest autism science and advocacy organization.” Join their Light it up Blue campaign in celebration of World Autism Awareness Day on April 2nd.
- Autism Fact Sheet — This fact sheet from the National Institutes of Health provides basic information about autism and links to a number of different organizations and resources related to autism.
- Autism Central — “News, resources and support for the autism community.”
- The Autism News — Recent news stories related to autism from around the world.
- Puzzling Through : New Ways to Teach Children with Autism — A brief article from the Boston Parents Paper about innovative teaching methods currently used in Massachusetts.
- Finding Good Apps for Children With Autism — This article from the New York Times includes links to Web sites that review apps developed for children with special needs.
Just for Kids
- Kids books about autism – See our Pinterest board for Books to help kids learn about autism
- Young adult books about autism — This Pinterest board includes fiction and nonfiction books about autism for YA and “Tween” readers/li>
- Autism Awareness for Kids: Easy Ways to Introduce It — A video for kids from iCNN.
- Autism — Autism explained for kids from the Kids Health site.
- Autism Awareness Activities for Kids — Tips for learning about autism from eHow.
- Autism Awareness Activities — Classroom activities from the Autism Connection site.
- April Lesson Plan Ideas — Classroom activity ideas from the Librarian’s Brain site.
- Autism Lesson Plans — A variety of lesson plans from the Lesson Planet site.