Difference between revisions of "USS Sea Dog submarine"

From SalWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 3: Line 3:
 
especially children.
 
especially children.
  
The Dec. 23 edition of the Salem Evening News, published a photo of the boat leaving. The caption stated that the submarine was to
+
The Dec. 23rd edition of the Salem Evening News for 1968 published a photo of the boat leaving. The caption stated that the submarine was to
 
got to Tulsa OK to be put on display as a war monument.
 
got to Tulsa OK to be put on display as a war monument.
  

Revision as of 12:48, 17 August 2017

The USS Sea Dog submarine was docked at the Salem Naval Reserve Center at Derby Wharf until Dec. 22, 1968 when it left under tow. It was placed in service in February 1960 as a Naval Reserve Training Vessel in the 1st Naval District. Tours of the undersea craft delighted visitors especially children.

The Dec. 23rd edition of the Salem Evening News for 1968 published a photo of the boat leaving. The caption stated that the submarine was to got to Tulsa OK to be put on display as a war monument.

According to Wikipedia: Builder: Portsmouth Naval Shipyard, Kittery, Maine Laid down: 1 November 1943 Launched: 28 March 1944 Commissioned: 3 June 1944 Decommissioned: 27 June 1956 Struck: 2 December 1968 Fate: Sold for scrap, 18 May 1973

Sea Dog earned two battle stars during World War II.

As of 2005, no other ship in the United States Navy has carried this name.

See Also