- Tabernacle Church, which split from the First Church of Salem in 1735, has been located on the corner of Washington and Federal streets since 1777. The current church is the third building at that location.
- Tabernacle is of the trinitarian branch of the oldest Protestant church in the United States, which was organized Congregational in 1629.
- Tabernacle has the honor of having been the place where the first U.S. American missionaries were commissioned by the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions on February 6, 1812. The five men to go on that first journey were Reverends Newell, Judson, Nott, Hall and Rice. They were trained to do the work of the "Gospel Ministry" and traveled to Burma, Bombay, India and Ceylon.
- South Church, (also Congregational) established in 1775, merged with Tabernacle Church in 1924.
- In 1961 Tabernacle Church voted to become a member of the United Church of Christ.
- The steeple of Tabernacle Church his been lit up at night since 1995, harkening back to the days when sea captains used to use church steeples to navigate coastal waters.
- Vertical File in Salem Collection -Salem Churches
- "A little church with a large history: volunteer tells the tale of Tabernacle Church" Salem News, Oct. 14, 2008, p. 2.
- "Salem Church lights steeple" Salem Evening News, Sept. 30, 1995, p.A7
- "Campaign lifts spirits at Tabernacle Church" Salem Evening News, Feb. 4, 2002, p.A2
- Architecture in Salem by Bryant F. Tolles, Jr., p. 118
- 1735-1935: Two hundred years of Tabernacle Church in Salem Nellie Stearns Messer, 1935.
- Salem church with the lighted steeple: a history of Tabernacle Congregational Church 1735-2007... Compiled and edited by Catherine Kirchmier Piemonte, 2008.
- Historical Sketch of Salem by Charles S. Osgood, p. 88-91.
- Historical address at the two-hundredth anniversary of the founding of the Tabernacle Church in Salem by Harris G. Hale, 1935.