Tabernacle Church, which split from the First Church of Salem in 1735, has been located on the corner of Washington and Federal streets since 1777. The current church is the third building on that spot. This church is well-known as the first church to send Christian missionaries from America in 1812.
- Vertical File in Salem Collection -Salem Churches
- "A little church with a large history: volunteer tells the tale of Tabernacle Church" Salem News, Oct. 14, 2008, p. 2.
- 1735-1935: Two hundred years of Tabernacle Church in Salem Nellie Stearns Messer, 1935.
- Salem church with the lighted steeple: a history of Tabernacle Congregational Church 1735-2007... Compiled and edited by Catherine Kirchmier Piemonte, 2008.