St. Joseph's School
- St. Joseph's School, a parochial school and the last Catholic school in the city that once had a dozen, closed in 2009. Enrollment was not enough to make the school financially viable.
- The parish was founded in 1873.
- The very first school was founded in 1892 and staffed by Sisters of Charity from Montreal.That school was destroyed in the Salem Fires of 1914. The classrooms were built on the "roof" of the church basement.
- The Sisters of Assumption founded a new St. Joseph's School in 1925, drawn here from Canada because of Salem's large French Canadian population. Two original nuns were still teaching at the school when it closed, Estelle Grenier and Sister Fernande Richard.
- In 1980 the elementary school was moved from the corner of Lafayette and Dow Streets to the former High School building at Salem and Harbor Streets. The school on the corner of Lafayette and Dow streets was razed in 1982, due to maintenance costs.
- When the parish closed in 2004, the school moved to former St. James Grammar School on Federal Street
until its closing in 2009.
- Vertical File in Salem Collection - St. Joseph's School
- "A centennial celebration for St. Joseph's" Salem Evening News, Feb. 11, 1992., p. 7
- "Sunset on Salem sisterhood; nuns reflect on 50 years service" Salem News, June 3, 2005, p. A2
- "St. Joseph School closing" Salem News, Dec. 5, 2008, p. 1
- Nuns face point of departure: closing of parish forces move" Boston Sunday Globe, June 13, 2004, p. 1 Globe North
- St. Joseph's School to be razed" Salem Evening News, Dec. 4, 1982, p. 1