South Church, formerly at Chestnut and Cambridge Streets, was built in 1803/1804. Samuel McIntire was the designer. It was 66 by 80 feet, and had a spire 166 feet high. The first spire was blown over by a violent gale in September 1804, but was replaced with another one. The church was dedicated Jan. 1, 1805, and was remodeled in 1860. It was destroyed by fire on Dec. 19, 1903.
- Old Naumkeag by C.H. Webber,p.76 (Drawing above)
- Architecture in Salem by Bryant F. Tolles Jr., p. 183 (photograph)
- Illustrated history of Salem and environs 1897, p. 36 (photo)
- The Pastor's Jubilee: a discourse delivered in the South Church, Salem, Mass. April 24, 1855, by Brown Emerson D.D. on the fiftieth anniversary of his ordination Boston: 1855.
- Historical Sketch of Salem by Charles S. Osgood, p. 93-4.