Salem Maritime National Historic Site
The Salem Maritime National Historic Site is in the Derby Wharf area of Salem and is run by the United States National Park Service. Designated by the Secretary of the Interior on March 17, 1938, the Salem Maritime National Historic Site became the first national historic site in the National Park System. It consists of 9 acres of land, 12 historic buildings, and a visitor center along the Salem waterfront.
Some of the historic sites it maintains are:
Derby and Central Wharves, the Derby House, the Custom House(built 1818), Hawkes House, Narbonne House, the West India Dry Goods Store, the Friendship, a recreated three-masted ship, and St. Joseph Society Hall (the Polish Club). Many of the features of the sites reflect Salem's association with maritime history.
- Salem Maritime National Historic Site Historical Research 1626-1990
- Salem Maritime National Historic Site National Park Service Website
- St. Joseph's Hall with photograph
- West India Goods Store Salem Maritime National Historic Site
- Vertical File in Salem Collection- Custom House
- Vertical File in Salem Collection - Narbonne House
- Colonial Architecture of Salem(Narbonne House) F. Cousins and P. Riley, p. 24-7, 134
- "Narbonne House: a treasure chest of historical objects" Salem Evening News, Dec. 31, 1990, p. 9
- Archeological Investigations at the Narbonne House Salem Maritime National Historic Site
- "Trash pits and natural rights in the Revolutionary Era: Excavations at the Narbonne House in Salem, Mass." Archaeology Magazine, Summer 1976