Salem Maritime National Historic Site

From SalWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

The Salem Maritime National Historic Site is in the Derby Wharf area of Salem and is run by the United States National Park Service. Designated by the Secretary of the Interior on March 17, 1938, the Salem Maritime National Historic Site became the first national historic site in the National Park System. It consists of 9 acres of land, 12 historic buildings, and a visitor center along the Salem waterfront.

Some of the historic sites it maintains are:

Derby and Central Wharves, the Derby House, the Custom House(built 1818), Hawkes House, Narbonne House, the West India Dry Goods Store, the Friendship, a recreated three-masted ship, and St. Joseph Society Hall (the Polish Club).

In 2008, a new (old) building was added to Derby Wharf. The Pedrick Store House,(ca. 1770) moved from nearby Marblehead was preserved to look like a period store house.

Many of the features of the sites reflect Salem's association with maritime history.


See Also

  • Vertical File in Salem Collection - Salem Maritime National Historic Site
  • West India Goods Store Salem Maritime National Historic Site
  • Vertical File in Salem Collection- Custom House
  • Vertical File in Salem Collection - Narbonne House
  • "Narbonne House: a treasure chest of historical objects" Salem Evening News, Dec. 31, 1990, p. 9
  • "Trash pits and natural rights in the Revolutionary Era: Excavations at the Narbonne House in Salem, Mass." Archaeology Magazine, Summer 1976