Founded by George W. Hooper, the Salem Laundry operated out of the four-story concrete building on the corners of Lafayette and Derby Streets.
After working in a laundry on Front Street, Hooper started his own laundry after a unsuccessful trip to the California Gold fields.
In 1904 he built the four-story concrete building on Lafayette Street. The adjoining brick building with a large clock on the outside wall, was
built right after the 1914 fire. It had been the site of Langmaid's Lumber, which was destroyed in the fire.
In 2002, plans began to remake the building into housing. Approximately 14-18 condos were built in the front brick building. In the rear there are 20 apartments.
Parking is inside the building.
Vertical File in Salem Collection - Businesses #2
"Condos set for Salem Laundry" Salem News, Jan. 16, 2002, p. A1
"Building a piece of city's history" Salem News, Jan. 16, 2002, p. A1