Difference between revisions of "Salem Depot"

From SalWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 17: Line 17:
 
*"Depot model goes to Bowditch House" ''Salem Evening News'', Dec. 12, 2001, p.A2
 
*"Depot model goes to Bowditch House" ''Salem Evening News'', Dec. 12, 2001, p.A2
 
*"A look back at the history of Salem's train stations" ''Salem Evening News'', Dec. 19, 2001, p.A3
 
*"A look back at the history of Salem's train stations" ''Salem Evening News'', Dec. 19, 2001, p.A3
*[http://innopac.noblenet.org/record=b1830493~S24 The Eastern Railroad] by F. Bradlee, p. 15, 35, 49
+
*[http://evergreen.noblenet.org/eg/opac/record/1830493?locg=63 The Eastern Railroad] by F. Bradlee, p. 15, 35, 49
*[http://innopac.noblenet.org/search?/Xillustrated+history+of+salem&SORT=D&searchscope=24/Xillustrated+history+of+salem&SORT=D&searchscope=24&SUBKEY=illustrated%20history%20of%20salem/1%2C8%2C8%2CB/frameset&FF=Xillustrated+history+of+salem&SORT=D&searchscope=24&1%2C1%2C Illustrated History of Salem and environs] p.49-51 (photographs)
+
*[http://evergreen.noblenet.org/eg/opac/record/1696468?locg=63 Illustrated History of Salem and environs] p.49-51 (photographs)
*[http://innopac.noblenet.org/search?/Xarchitecture+in+salem&SORT=D&searchscope=24/Xarchitecture+in+salem&SORT=D&searchscope=24&SUBKEY=architecture%20in%20salem/1%2C3%2C3%2CB/frameset&FF=Xarchitecture+in+salem&SORT=D&searchscope=24&2%2C2%2C Architecture in Salem] by Bryant F. Tolles, p. 69
+
*[http://evergreen.noblenet.org/eg/opac/record/1356094?locg=63 Architecture in Salem] by Bryant F. Tolles, p. 69
*[http://innopac.noblenet.org/record=b1744216~S24 Salem Massachusetts] by Kenneth C. Turino and Stephen J. Schier, p. 15
+
*[http://evergreen.noblenet.org/eg/opac/record/1744216?locg=63 Salem Massachusetts] by Kenneth C. Turino and Stephen J. Schier, p. 15

Revision as of 19:30, 15 January 2013

  • The Salem Depot was built in 1847 by the Eastern Railroad (later absorbed by the Boston and Maine) soon after it reached Salem in 1839.The old station sat at the corner of Washington and Norman streets where Riley Plaza is now. The old depot with its granite facade resembled a medieval castle. It was designed by prominent Boston architect Gridley Bryant(1816-1899) and built in 1847.
  • It was demolished in the fall of 1954 and spring of 1955, when the Railroad tunnel was being extended and downtown rail crossings eliminated. In 1958 the site was paved over to become Riley Plaza.
  • A model of the Salem Depot was completed by Leon Masse and displayed for years at the Chamber of Commerce in the Old Town Hall, but has since been moved to Historic Salem's Bowditch House.
  • For more details on trains in Salem, see wiki entry Railroads.

SalemDepot fr.jpg SalemDepot.jpg

See Also

  • Postcard photographs courtesy of CardCow.com
  • "When taking the train was the only way to travel" Salem News, Dec. 8, 2003, p. B5
  • "Start razing Salem Depot Sept. 1" Salem Evening News, July 3, 1954, p. 1
  • "Throngs watch as massive tower stone is lowered" Salem Evening News, Oct. 26, 1954, p.1
  • "Depot model goes to Bowditch House" Salem Evening News, Dec. 12, 2001, p.A2
  • "A look back at the history of Salem's train stations" Salem Evening News, Dec. 19, 2001, p.A3
  • The Eastern Railroad by F. Bradlee, p. 15, 35, 49
  • Illustrated History of Salem and environs p.49-51 (photographs)
  • Architecture in Salem by Bryant F. Tolles, p. 69
  • Salem Massachusetts by Kenneth C. Turino and Stephen J. Schier, p. 15