The Salem Armory was located on Essex and Brown Street, directly across from the Peabody Essex Museum. The Salem Armory was constructed for the Second Corps of Cadets between 1890 and 1980. In 1890, the Second Corps purchased the home and property of Colonel Francis Peabody. The home was adapted to serve as Cadet headquarters. The drill shed, now occupied by the Salem Visitor Center, was erected at that time. In 1908, the former residence was torn down and replaced with a new head house designed by John C. Spofford. This massive brick and stone time castle-like structure has many typical features of Gothic revival armory architecture.