Difference between revisions of "Railroads"

From SalWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
 
Line 13: Line 13:
  
 
==See Also==
 
==See Also==
*[http://innopac.noblenet.org/record=b1696468~S24 Illustrated History of Salem and Environs] Salem Evening News, p. 49-54
+
*[http://evergreen.noblenet.org/eg/opac/record/1696468?locg=63 Illustrated History of Salem and Environs] Salem Evening News, p. 49-54
  
*[http://innopac.noblenet.org/record=b2382888~S24 Essex Institute Historical Collections] Vol.'''11''': 60 ''History of'': Vol. '''52''': 241, 289 Vol. '''53''': 1, 169
+
*[http://evergreen.noblenet.org/eg/opac/record/2382888?locg=63 Essex Institute Historical Collections] Vol.'''11''': 60 ''History of'': Vol. '''52''': 241, 289 Vol. '''53''': 1, 169
 
Vol. '''54''': 193, 321 Vol. '''57''': 273 Vol. '''61''': 408
 
Vol. '''54''': 193, 321 Vol. '''57''': 273 Vol. '''61''': 408

Latest revision as of 20:30, 15 January 2013

The first railroads to come to Salem were in 1838. Eastern Railroad was the first company and continued until 1883, when the property passed into the control of the Boston & Maine system.

The train depot stood at the junction of Norman and Washington Streets. This imposing depot was built in the 1847 from designs imported from England. Trains entered under a stone arch connecting the two towers. A long train shed extended south for passengers and baggage handling.

It was demolished in the fall of 1954 and spring of 1955, when the Railroad tunnel was being extended and downtown rail crossings eliminated. In 1958 the site was paved over to become Riley Plaza.

For other entries on this topic see wiki entries Salem Depot and Railroad tunnel.

See Also

Vol. 54: 193, 321 Vol. 57: 273 Vol. 61: 408