Difference between revisions of "Quaker Meeting House"

From SalWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
 
Line 17: Line 17:
 
==See Also==
 
==See Also==
  
[http://innopac.noblenet.org/record=b2382888~S24 Essex Institute Historical Collection] Vol. 39, p.267-293
+
[http://evergreen.noblenet.org/eg/opac/record/2382888?locg=63 Essex Institute Historical Collection] Vol. 39, p.267-293

Latest revision as of 20:37, 15 January 2013

Quaker Meeting House sits in the Federal Garden area in the Phillips Library Neighborhood. Some of the other buildings in the Federal Garden area are the Lye-Tapley Shoe Shop and the John Ward House.

The first Quaker Meeting House was built around 1688. The current building, erected in 1865 to resemble a Post-Medieval or First Period structure, is a reconstruction of the Quaker Meeting House and may contain some of the original timber framing. It is a very early example of an architectural re-creation.

In 1865, the museum reconstructed the Quaker Meeting House from beams thought to be original to the First Church.

QuakerMeetingHouse.jpg


See Also

Essex Institute Historical Collection Vol. 39, p.267-293