The Salem Rebuilding Commission decided to build a new public park bounded between Harbor, Lafayette and Washington Street after
the Salem Fire decimated all the buildings in the area, including a Fire House. The park was established between 1914 and 1917.
The 1916 City Documents listed the lot of land on Lafayette Street would be known as Lafayette Park.
A monument Mourning Victory, by sculptor Joseph A. Coletti was placed in the middle of the park in 1947. This tall obelisk is carved at its peak into a figure holding a sword at rest. The figure appears to possess sings and to radiate light.
The statue's inscription states that the monument is dedicated to the 2,105 veterans of both World Wars from St. Joseph Parish.
Vertical File in Salem Collection - Lafayette Park
Salem City Documents 1915 (p. 140) and 1916 (p. 103)