Difference between revisions of "Franco-American Institute of Salem, Inc."

From SalWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
 
Line 7: Line 7:
 
An influx of immigrants of French-Canadian descent began on a large scale during the 1860's.
 
An influx of immigrants of French-Canadian descent began on a large scale during the 1860's.
 
Many families of French-Canadian extraction left their home on the shores of the St. Lawrence River in Quebec to journey to America. Many worked in the Pequot Mills. Stores were opened in this area of town to cater to the French speaking immigrants. Common names were Gagnon and Jalbert.
 
Many families of French-Canadian extraction left their home on the shores of the St. Lawrence River in Quebec to journey to America. Many worked in the Pequot Mills. Stores were opened in this area of town to cater to the French speaking immigrants. Common names were Gagnon and Jalbert.
 +
 +
'''Le Revue de Salem''' Journal has been published three times a year for the last 16 years.
  
 
For queries use this email address: francosalem@yahoo.com
 
For queries use this email address: francosalem@yahoo.com

Latest revision as of 11:02, 20 June 2014

The Franco-American Institute of Salem was organized in 2005 and incorporated on February 16, 2006. They are dedicated to preserving and promoting the history, genealogy, and culture of the Franco-American community of greater Salem, Massachusetts.

Regular meetings are held and the group publishes a journal, La Revue de Salem.

Mailing address for all correspondence to F.A.I.S.: 40 Nahant St. Lynn, Ma. 01902

An influx of immigrants of French-Canadian descent began on a large scale during the 1860's. Many families of French-Canadian extraction left their home on the shores of the St. Lawrence River in Quebec to journey to America. Many worked in the Pequot Mills. Stores were opened in this area of town to cater to the French speaking immigrants. Common names were Gagnon and Jalbert.

Le Revue de Salem Journal has been published three times a year for the last 16 years.

For queries use this email address: francosalem@yahoo.com

See Also

  • La Revue de Salem newsletters are kept in the Salem Collection Room at the Library.