Revision as of 11:56, 26 October 2012 by CDavis
- Fort Lee started as an earthwork and gun platform around 1690, enlarged and modernized in 1742. It is located at the Salem Willows area and is star-shaped. It was used in the time periods of: 1750-1799, 1800-1824, 1825-1849, and 1850-1874.
- The last active role that Fort Lee had was against Confederate Raiders during the Civil War.
- It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1994.
- During the bicentennial time period, there was a push to clean up both Salem forts, Pickering and Lee. the Salem Bicentennial Commission sponsored a dedication of Fort Lee, on June 20th, 1976.
- Vertical File in Salem Collection - Forts
- Postcard Image courtesy of CardCow.com
- "Salem's forts: strongholds of history" Salem Evening News, May 4, 1976, p.8
- Salem in the Eighteenth Century by James Duncan Phillips, p.371
- Essex Institute Historical Collections Historical Sketch of the Forts on Salem Neck by Joseph Felt. Vol. 5, p. 255