Forest River Lead Works
Founded and incorporated in 1840 as the Forest River Lead company, the lead works were situated on Lafayette Street at Forest River. The company was active for 40 years under this name. In 1884, they were purchased by the Chadwick Lead works of Boston. After remodeling and enlarging the works, the name was changed to Forest River Lead works, to avoid conflicting with the original company name.
After a large fire on March 5, 1897, the entire main factory was destroyed. After rebuilding they became the largest lead mills facility, creating 6,000 tons per year to be used in paint and other trades.
Developers have eyed this area in 2001 and 2003 for building assisted living housing or condominiums, but clean up costs were too great and the project did not move forward.
In Oct. 2010, Woodward & Curran started a clean-up of the area.
Vertical File in Salem Collection - Lead Mills (Forest River)
Historical Sketch of Salem by Chas. Osgood, p. 231
Illustrated History of Salem and Environs by Charles B. Gillespie, p. 163.
Old Naumkeag by C. H. Webber, p. 206
"Developer interested in Lead Mills" Salem News, Dec. 4, 2003, p.1
"Marblehead's former mill site will soon be unleaded" Salem Evening News, Sept. 23, 2010, p.?