Difference between revisions of "Essex Bank Building"
|Line 8:||Line 8:|
Latest revision as of 13:34, 17 January 2020
The Essex Bank Building, at 11 Central Street, was built in 1792 to house the Essex Bank (the first bank in Essex County).
The structure is considered the only remaining design by the great Boston architect Charles Bullfinch, left in Salem.
The Essex Fraternity (the oldest boy's club in the United States) acquired the building in 1899. Over time, the Salem Fraternity evolved
into the Boys and Girls Club of greater Salem and moved to another location. Various businesses have operated from 11 Central over the years.
Architecture in Salem B. Tolles, p. 82