Derby Estate

From SalWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

The Derby Estate was a large tract of land out in South Salem, near what is now Lafayette Street.

The Derby's of old Salem in her commercial days were the original owner. The old manor house had a porter's lodge,

a gold fish pond and hot houses. The family eventually dwindled to three elderly maiden ladies. They sold the estate

to a syndicate composed of Nathaniel Wiggin, Charles S. Clark and James F. Almy.

The acreage eventually became it's own neighborhood with schools and many houses, as well as a large home for James F. Almy on Lafayette St.

See Also

Illustrated History of Salem and Environs Compiled by C. B. Gillespie, 1897, p. 125-7