Difference between revisions of "Derby Estate"

From SalWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
 
(One intermediate revision by the same user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
The Derby Estate was a large tract of land out in South Salem, near what is now Lafayette Street.  
 
The Derby Estate was a large tract of land out in South Salem, near what is now Lafayette Street.  
  
The Derby's of old Salem in her commercial days were the original owner. The old manor house had a porter's lodge,
+
The wealthy Derby family of old Salem were the original owners of the property. The old manor house had a porter's lodge,
  
 
a gold fish pond and hot houses. The family eventually dwindled to three elderly maiden ladies. They sold the estate
 
a gold fish pond and hot houses. The family eventually dwindled to three elderly maiden ladies. They sold the estate

Latest revision as of 12:55, 6 December 2018

The Derby Estate was a large tract of land out in South Salem, near what is now Lafayette Street.

The wealthy Derby family of old Salem were the original owners of the property. The old manor house had a porter's lodge,

a gold fish pond and hot houses. The family eventually dwindled to three elderly maiden ladies. They sold the estate

to a syndicate composed of Nathaniel Wiggin, Charles S. Clark and James F. Almy.

The acreage eventually became it's own neighborhood with schools and many houses, as well as a large home for James F. Almy on Lafayette St.

See Also

Illustrated History of Salem and Environs Compiled by C. B. Gillespie, 1897, p. 125-7