Revision as of 11:25, 15 July 2016 by Jstrom
- A natural spring near present day Kernwood Country Club that was used for drinking water by the locals. It was located on Liberty Hill Avenue and Kernwood Road.
- Cold Spring was so called as early as 1793.
- It was known as Goodale's spring as early 1658, because Robert Goodale owned it and lived in the field northeasterly of it at the time.
- According to the Visitor's Guide to Salem (1937 ed.) Liberty Hill had been a park and a favorite resort for many people on account of the "Cold Spring". These springs of pure cold water have been used for centuries.
- An event of note occurred in June of 1844 when a land dispute came up over ownership of Liberty Hill. Joseph Leavitt claimed he had purchased the land. Liberty Hill was a recreational spot
where the neighborhood used to gather for picnics and celebrations. There was an uproar when Leavitt began to plow his supposed land. In court, it was eventually was proved to be public land.
- Vertical File in Salem Collection - Cold Springs
- Vertical file in Salem Collection - North Salem
- Vertical File in Salem Collection - Liberty Hill Riot
- History of Salem by Sidney Perley, vol. 1, p.8.
- Old Naumkeag C.H.Webber, p. 186-7
- Visitor's Guide to Salem 1937 ed. , p. 210
- "How Liberty Hill was saved" (letters to the editor) Salem News, Sept. 7, 2012, p. 5
- "Land dispute ignited riot of 1844" Salem News, June 21, 2000, p. A2
- "How picnic turned into Liberty Hill Riot" Salem News, June 22, 2009, p. 5