Salem City Hall was built in 1837 from funds provided by the federal government and was opened on June 4, 1838.
The building is a two-story granite structure in the Greek Revival style.
A golden eagle copied from the original by Samuel McIntire tops the roof parapet.
On May 31, 1838, Mayor Saltonstall delivered an address and the first meeting of the city council was held in the new building.
Cost of City Hall, completed and furnished together with land was $22, 878. City Hall was enlarged in 1876 at the cost of $24,000.
City Hall was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
- Vertical File in Salem Collection - Salem City Hall
- Chronicles of Old Salem by Frances D. Robotti, p.61
- Historical sketch of Salem by C.S. Osgood, p. 55-63
- Annals of Salem by Joseph B. Felt, Vol.1, p.399
- Architecture in Salemby Bryant F. Tolles, p.107