Atwood & Morrill
Atwood & Morrill (now called Weir Valves & Controls, USA) began in 1900 at 20 Symonds Street,Salem, employing many French-Canadian workers and making valves for New England Mills and later, for Navy ships in World War II.
After losing their building to the great fire of 1914, the company moved to Canal Street.
They started making nuclear power parts in the 1950's, making huge valves for power plants. They grew as the nuclear power industry grew.
They opened up a plant in North Carolina in 1972.
As the company became larger, they outgrew their Salem plant. The company found a location in Ipswich that fit their specifications, so most employees don't have to move. They moved the company in 2008.
Salem State University is buying their empty buildings on Canal Street to use for the expansion they have planned.
"Century-old manufacturer leaves Salem" Salem News, Jan. 18, 2008, p. A6