Woman's Friend Society

From SalWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
  • The Woman's Friend Society is comprised of volunteers who support the historic Emmerton House on 12 Hawthorne Blvd. Built in 1811, the Emmerton House provides affordable housing and a safe environment for single women of all ages and backgrounds, who are working or students.
  • Different committees work to address concerns of the residents and to facilitate the upkeep of the house. The volunteers also run fund raisers throughout the year to help maintain the historic house.
  • The Society was founded in 1876. Jenny Bertram Emmerton and her father Capt. John Bertram donated the house to the society in 1879.
  • The Emmerton or Joseph Fenno House at 12 Hawthorne Blvd. was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2008.

See Also

  • Vertical File in the Salem Collection - Woman's Friend Society
  • "Woman's Friend Society marks anniversary, keeps mission alive." Salem Evening News, June 21, 2001. p. A1.
  • "Witch City's charity of firsts gets its stories down on paper" Salem News, Jan. 27, 2003. p.A2