Waters & Brown
Waters & Brown began as a hardware store in 1895. Established by Henry Waters and J. Clarke Brown, it had a reputation for quality products, customer service and home delivery.
The brothers Donald and Edward Clarke bought the business in 1969 and relocated it to its present location on Derby Street.
Their sons, Tim and Shaun, have taken over the business and changed it to suit the times, evolving into a home decor business and opening a Beverly location as well. In the 1980's the company offered paint, wall coverings and later, added window treatments and upholstery.
In July of 2016, Waters & Brown announced that it had sold its oil side of the business to Scott Energy of Gloucester. They will continue to supply building supplies, paints and marine hardware at their Derby Street store, as well as their Beverly storefront.
Legendary locals of Salem ed. Curly, Malcolm, Dionne, p. 92
Waters and Brown company website
"Businesses of brothers; Scott Energy acquires oil business from Waters & Brown owners" Salem News, July 25, 2016, p. 7