Vincent's Potato Chips
Vincent's Potato Chips, a business owned by the Voyer family, opened in Salem on Highland Avenue in 1953, after operating in Danvers since 1947. The bag had a red witch logo. The company began losing business in the 1990's with competition from Frito-Lay and the increased popularity of low-fat snacks like popcorn.
Vincent's was also hit hard by regulatory problems. The South Essex Sewerage District insisted the company change is discharges into the sewerage system. In addition, the company would have to invest money to remove three underground storage tanks to meet state guidelines.
Beginning in 1998, the potato chips will now be produced in the Boyd's plant in Lynn. Boyd Co. is a subsidiary of SLB Holdings, with annual sales of $20 million. Between 15-60 employees lost their jobs with this move.
A year later, a developer made plans to build luxury rental housing at the site of the old Vincent's. It is named Hawthorne Commons. It is a five-building 120 unit development with 1 to 3 bedroom apartments. It features an outdoor pool, fitness room and clubhouse.
Vertical File in Salem Collection - Businesses
Salem in Vintage Postcards ed. by Mathias, p. 77
"Vincent moving chip operation" Salem Evening News, Mar. 20, 1998, p. A10
"Luxury rentals proposed in Salem (at old Vincent's Potato Chip factory) Salem Evening News, Nov. 11, 1999, p. A1