Tinker's Island

From SalWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
  • Tinker's Island, a 7 acre island, was so called since 1659.
  • Named after the abundance of tinker mackerel that run close to its shore, Tinker's Island was first subject to Salem taxes in 1969. The houses on the island were privately owned and have no electricity, water or other services.
  • Since 1807, both Tinker's and Ram Island were considered part of Marblehead. It was leased in 1889 to Captain John Wooldredge for ballast and in 1913 by Albert Prince for a boy's camp.
  • Today the island is protected by Tinker's Island Association. In 1969 the city of Salem laid claim to the island successfully.
  • There are fifteen house lots with summer cottages.

See Also

  • Vertical File in the Salem Collection - Islands
  • "Tinker's Island: sun, sea and a boatload of conflict" Salem News, Jan. 26, 2007, p. 1