Ted Cole's Music Shop
Ted Cole's Music Shop was a popular downtown music store for more than 50 years.
The store was opened in 1957 by its namesake, Ted Cole, a popular crooner who sang with big bands, and made a few recordings as well as headlining in some Boston clubs. For many years he was master of ceremonies at Blinstrub's, a south Boston nightclub.
The first store was on Central Street across from Red's Sandwich Shop. The store moved several times as well as changing with the times, selling stereos when they were popular and electric guitars when the Beatles became popular in the 1960's. They also sold instruments, recordings and sheet music.
The last store was on Church Street, across the street from the Lyceum Restaurant.
Ted's daughter Paula Cole Audet, passed away in 2010 and Jerry Cole (Ted's son) ran the store with his brother-in-law Paul Audet. They were forced to close the store in early 2011, due to low business volume and changing times in the music industry.
"Losing a landmark: (Ted Cole's) Music store, a Salem landmark, is closing" Salem News, April 25, 2011, p. 1