St. John the Baptist Church
St. John the Baptist Church is located at 28 St. Peter Street and was founded in 1903 to serve Polish immigrants who once lived in the neighborhood along Derby St. There are still masses said in Polish. St. John's is one of only four Polish churches in the Boston area. St. John's school closed in 1977.
1903- the Rev. Joseph Czubek appointed first pastor.
1909 - Restoration completed on new church on St. Peters Street.
1960 - New school built next to church
1968- convent built on church grounds
1977 - school closes.
In 2017 there have been more changes: On July 31, 2017, St. John the Baptist Parish will be suppressed as a parish.
On August 1, 2017, the St. Pope John Paul II Divine Mercy Shrine will be established.
- Vertical File in Salem Collection - Churches
- St. John the Baptist Website for Salem Catholic Collaborative
- St. John the Baptist Church Salem 90th Jubilee, 1903-1933 1993
- "Polish parish puts faith in past, future; church still growing at 100" Boston Globe, Oct. 9, 2003, p. N1
- "Polish church thrives in Salem, despite other closings" Salem Evening News, Jan. 7, 2000, p.1
- "Concert features restored church organ" Salem Evening News, Sept. 16, 1994, p.11
- "Salem's Polish parish celebrates 100 years of faith and friends,Salem News, Oct. 6, 2003, p.A1
- "A moving tribute to Christmas; altar display..." Salem News, Dec. 23, 2002, P. A1
- The Polish Community of Salem Ed. by E. Murphy and F. Wilczenski