The original schooner named The Fame was built as a privateer ship after the war of 1812 broke out. Owned by 25 men from Salem who had been captains or merchants or shipowners, it was converted from a fast schooner built in Annisquam. She was about 50 feet on deck and could carry two small cannon. Originally designed for fishing, her new owners fitted her out to carry the armament and larger crew of a privateer. The Fame had 20 captures before being wrecked in the Bay of Fundy in 1814.
In 2003 a full-scale replica of the original Fame was built and now docks at Pickering Wharf, sailing out of Salem harbor for sightseeing and educational trips. Fame sails up to three times daily from Memorial Day through Halloween and is available for private charters, group outings, parties, and special events.
- Vertical File in Salem Collection - Fame (Schooner)
- The Schooner Fame Official Website
- Fame: the Salem Privateer by M. Rutstein, 2002.