School House Lane
School House Lane was the road to the school house in town in the 1700. The school was in a town house that Samuel McIntire designed. The street later became Washington Street. The school was about where Masonic Temple is.
In 1637, John Fisk was the first real teacher in town in this school. Pupils who were able to pay, paid tuition. Other poorer boys had their tuition paid for by some of the wealthy in town or by Fisk himself. Fisk was also assistant pastor in the church.
- Nicknames and Neighborhoods by F. Gannon, p. 8
- History of Salem Prepared by a committee of students and teachers of the Salem Public School System, p. 29