Samuel Pickman House
One of the oldest structures in Salem, the Samuel Pickman House sits at 20 Liberty Street at Charter St. The land was acquired by Samuel Pickman, a mariner, in 1657, and his estate inventory of 1687 included a house on this tract.
The house may have been built as early as 1664 for Samuel Pickman.
"Structural evidence suggests that the house originally consisted of a large right-hand hall with a chamber and attic above and a chimney bay. The one story projecting porch was added c1800" according to Tolles in "Architecture in Salem."
The house was purchased by Historic Salem in 1964 and partially restored. They sold it to Philip A. Budrose of Marblehead in 1969, a private developer, who restored it. The building is now owned by the Peabody Essex Museum.
Architecture in Salem by Tolles, p.74-5
Chartering a Course through Times Past: Charter Street Salem Tales, Salem Web