Salem Visiting Nurse Association
- "The Salem Visiting Nurse Association, an offshoot of the Woman's Friend Society, was established in 1897 as the District Nurse Committee to prove home nursing services to the people of Salem regardless of their ability to pay." according to Bonnie Hurd Smith in her book.
- By 1900, the District Nurse program was making two thousand visits a year. Later renamed the Visiting Nurse Association of Greater Salem, Inc., the organization operated out of 12 Hawthorne Boulevard until 1959.
- Salem Women's Heritage Trail by Bonnie Hurd Smith, p.22.