Salem Theaters

From SalWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Some of the defunct theaters in Salem are:

  • Theatre Comique - 49 Washington St.
  • Rialto Theater - 49 Washington St.
  • Paramount Theater - 180 Essex Street (torn down 1971). Built in 1929 as a motion picture house. Seats 2,187 persons.
  • Plaza Theater - 273 Essex Street (torn down 1969). Opened Dec. 31, 1913; rebuilt after a disastrous fire in 1917. Seating capacity was 770. Closed in the mid 1950's.
  • Federal Theater - 24 Federal Street (torn down 1970)
  • Empire Theater - 283-285-287 Essex Street. Built in 1906, seated nearly 1500. Empire Theater opened Aug. 29, 1907. This was also the site of Mechanic Hall, erected of brick in 1839, and destroyed by fire Feb. 4, 1905.
  • Salem Theatre (the first)- 273 Essex St. Opened on April 25, 1901. Featured live shows and silent movies. Harry Houdini performed here in 1906. Closed in 1936.
  • Salem Theater (E.M.Loew's) 293 Essex Street, was built in 1952 as a motion picture house. It was air-conditioned and had the largest screen on the North Shore. Seating capacity 1,000. - (demolished May 9, 1985)

See Also

  • "Salem Theater" Salem Evening News, April 15, 16, 22,24 and 26, 1901.
  • "Paramount Theatre" Salem Evening News, April 17, 1930.
  • "Salem Theater slated for demolition", Salem Evening News, May 9, 1985., p1.
  • City's golden age of theaters glittered" Salem Evening News, Feb. 20,2002. p.A2
  • Vertical File in Salem Collection - Salem Theaters
  • "Organist loved playing at old Paramount Theatre" Salem News, Jan. 31, 2011, p. 1