The Salem Inn operates out of three historic homes. The largest is the West Cogswell House at 7 Summer Street, which has 23 rooms.
The Curwen House, an Italianate Revival home, built in 1854 at 331 Essex Street, has 11 rooms. The third is the John P. Peabody House, a Dutch Colonial style at 15 Summer Street. Dick and Diane Pabich have run the Inn for the past 28 years.
The Capt. West House was built as an investment for Capt. Nathanial West, a privateer commander during the American Revolution. According to tax records, it was built c. 1833/34. It is a three-story pitched-roof brick house row. The front facade has doorways with porches supported by fluted Ionic columns. It is a prime example of the Federal style of architecture.
The West Cogswell House was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
Architecture in Salem by Tolles, p. 102
Salem Inn Website
West Cogswell House Wikipedia article (with photo)
John P. Peabody House Wikipedia article (with photo)