The Salem Hospital was founded in 1873, by Capt. John Bertram. One of the first Salem hospitals was a large brick building, 31 Charter Street, formerly a private residence, the birthplace of the late Hon. Stephen H. Phillips, attorney-general of Massachusetts and of Hawaii.
Damaged in the fire of 1914, the building was torn down during Salem's period of urban renewal in the 1970's.
The present hospital on Highland Ave. was erected in 1916-17, largely as a replacement for the Charter Street building burned in the Salem fire of 1914.
The Salem Hospital had a nurses training program and its Alumnae Association was started in 1897 with 13 graduate nurses. The meetings were held in the homes of various members at first, but the group soon outgrew this and moved to the Parlor of the "Old Salem Hospital". Later, they were held at the Essex Institute for a short while. Since 1928, the meetings were held at the Nurses' Home on Highland Avenue.
Early Salem Hospital (1873) at 31 Charter Street
Today, the Salem Hospital runs under the umbrella of North Shore Medical Center - Salem
- Vertical File in Salem Collection - Salem Hospital
- From Charter Street to the Lookout; the Salem Hospital - a brief history by Walter G. Phippen, M.D.
- Postcard courtesy of CardCow.com
- Charter Street history Salem Tales website
- Visitor's Guide to Salem 1953 ed., p. 152
- Salem Massachusetts ed. by K. Turino, p. 60
- Salem Women's Heritage Trail by B.H. Smith, p. 18-19