Salem Five Cents Savings Bank
Salem Five Cents Savings Bank opened on May 14, 1855. It started as one room at Pickman Place. J. Vincent Browne was the force
behind the Bank's opening years. He was also the bank's first Treasurer.
In 1858, the Bank moved to the recently completed Downing Block, 175 Essex Street.
In 1872, the bank moved to the new Northey Building in Town House Square on the northwest corner of Washington and Essex Street.
The Bank's Headquarters are at 210 Essex Street.
Seventy-five years of progress, 1855-1930 S. Sternberg