Salem Country Club
Salem Country Club was founded by 12 men on Nov. 4, 1895. Among the founders were Frank W. Benson and his brother Henry P. Benson.
The first location they looked at was Gardner farm in North Salem, which later became the Gardner Park residential neighborhood on the
The primitive course in Gardner Park did not work out at first, so they voted to move to the Goldthwait land in South Salem on Loring
Avenue. This arrangement lasted one year, when they moved back to Gardner Farm and built a clubhouse.
The club moved again, this time permanently, in 1925 to Sanders Farm in West Peabody. By 1926 the club had 600 members.
The two local golf clubs are Salem Country Club (in Peabody) and the Municipal Golf Course (in Salem)
Salem Country Club: one hundred years, 1895-1995 G. Larrabee