Salem Commercial School
Founded in 1890, the Salem Commercial School started as a small class held at the home of Miss E. A. Tibbetts, its first principal.
It later moved to 5,000 square foot of space in the Peabody Building on Washington St. Some of the subjects were typewriting, shorthand, bookkeeping,
arithmetic and law.
The school included the teaching of Gregg's shorthand which they adopted in 1893 before any other school in America.
George P. Lord was principal in 1897.
Illustrated History of Salem and Environs Compiled by C. B. Gillespie, 1897, p. 86-89