The Salem Club founded in 1895 was located in a house off of Salem Common, originally built for Col. George Peabody, on 29 Washington Square (north).
In 1897 the social private club boasted two hundred members. The house was built in 1818 by John Forrester, and later
improved and occupied for may years by George Peabody. The club had beautiful gardens in the rear and enjoyed giving garden parties there.
The building is now used for the John Bertram House, an assisted living facility.
Visitor's Guide to Salem 1897 ed., p.119, 127