Salem Cadet Band
This outstanding band was created by Salem's own Jean Missud in 1878 and continued under his leadership for the next 63 years. The band featured woodwind, brass and percussion instruments. "During its long history, no important Salem event was complete without an appearance by the Salem Cadet Band. In 1925, the group led the civic parade on the day the Hawthorne Hotel opened for business. The following year it was chosen to play at a Grand Ball held in the Second Corps Cadets Armory on Essex Street in commemoration of Salem's tercentenary." according to Jim McAllister in a news article. The band also furnished the music for 50 consecutive commencements at Tufts College. Locally they played regularly at the Salem Common, Salem Willows and Hamilton Hall.
- Vertical File in Salem Collection - Bands, Salem Brass
- Postcard Image courtesy of CardCow.com
- "Remembering Salem's most beloved band leader" Salem Evening News, Mar.20, 2002. p. A3
- Illustrated History of Salem and Environsby Charles B. Gillespie, p. 155-156