Sainte Anne Church
Sainte Anne Roman Catholic Church is located in the Castle Hill neighborhood of South Salem at 290 Jefferson Ave. Established as a French parish in 1901, it now consists of approximately one thousand diverse catholic families.
The Rev. Joseph Peltier became the first resident pastor. Rev. Louis Bourgeois led the parish during turbulent times.
In June of 1976, due to many factors, the parish was forced to close the doors of its school.
On Feb. 3, 1982, a fire broke out in the church and totally demolished the building. A temporary chapel was built in the next-door St. Anne's Grammar School while the church was rebuilt. The church bell which cracked in the fire was salvaged and later relocated to a landscaped area off Jefferson Ave. The new church building was opened again in 1986.
Long-time pastor (21 years), Rev. George Dufour, who had retired in 2013, passed away on Aug. 28, 2013
- Vertical File in Salem Collection- Churches, Catholic
- History of French Canadians in Castle Hill Salem by Anthony V. Salvo, 2001, p. 4-5, 10 (list of priests at St. Anne's)
- "Blaze guts Ste. Anne's of Salem" Salem Evening News, Feb. 3, 1982, p.1
- "Ste. Anne's Church to be rebuilt in Salem" Salem Evening News, Sep. 18, 1984, p.7
- "St. Anne's Church to celebrate 100th Anniversary" Salem Evening News, June 5, 2001, p.A1
- Diamond Jubilee of Sainte Anne's Church Salem Massachusetts Oct. 10, 1976, St. Anne's Church
- Salem's Great Pasture: a history of the southeast extension of Jefferson Avenue to Loring Avenue D. M. Michaud, 1999
- "Obituary for Rev. George J. Dufour" Salem News, Aug. 31, 2013, p. 4