Found in City Documents as far back as 1899, this plot of land was used for baseball games for many years. It was owned by Edward Rowell previously, according to a Salem City Atlas from 1874.
In the 1952 city directory describes an upgrade: Fort Avenue Athletic Field: a new baseball backstop, fifty feet in length and twenty-six feet high was completed. The temporary wood sills, placed under the bleachers when they were relocated from Rowell's Fields were removed and permanent concrete foundations installed.
Vertical File in Salem Collection - Rowell's Field
City of Salem, City Documents, 1899, p. 271 ; 1902, p.253; 1908, p. 266; 1946, p. 39; 1950, p. 181;