- The Richelieu Club Nord de Boston is Salem's local French speaking club, part of the international club Richelieu.
- The club is similar to the Rotary or the Lions Clubs, but members are only allowed to speak French during part of their meetings.
- The Salem club was formed in 1965 by French-descended businessmen who wanted to keep the French language and culture alive. Msgr. Arthur O. Mercier of St. Joseph's Parish helped start it in the French community of Salem,which was anchored in the Point neighborhood. George Aubertin was the first president of the club and one of its founders.
- The worldwide Richelieu organization began in 1941.
- The club is still active, holding a Christmas dinner for their members at the Hawthorne Hotel on Dec. 7th of 2009.
Vertical File in Salem Collection - Richelieu Club
"French flair-and language-set Richelieu club apart" Salem Evening News, June 28, 1991, p.7