The first railroads to come to Salem were in 1838. Eastern Railroad was the first company and continued until 1883, when the property passed into the control of the Boston & Maine system.
The train depot stood at the junction of Norman and Washington Streets. This imposing depot was built in the 1847 from designs imported from England. Trains entered under a stone arch connecting the two towers. A long train shed extended south for passengers and baggage handling.
It was demolished in the fall of 1954 and spring of 1955, when the Railroad tunnel was being extended and downtown rail crossings eliminated. In 1958 the site was paved over to become Riley Plaza.
- Illustrated History of Salem and Environs Salem Evening News, p. 49-54
- Essex Institute Historical Collections Vol.11: 60 History of: Vol. 52: 241, 289 Vol. 53: 1, 169
Vol. 54: 193, 321 Vol. 57: 273 Vol. 61: 408