Quaker Meeting House

From SalWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Quaker Meeting House sits in the Federal Garden area in the Phillips Library Neighborhood. Some of the other buildings in the Federal Garden area are the Lye-Tapley Shoe Shop and the John Ward House.

The first Quaker Meeting House was built around 1688. The current building, erected in 1865 to resemble a Post-Medieval or First Period structure, is a reconstruction of the Quaker Meeting House and may contain some of the original timber framing. It is a very early example of an architectural re-creation.

In 1865, the museum reconstructed the Quaker Meeting House from beams thought to be original to the First Church.

QuakerMeetingHouse.jpg


See Also

Essex Institute Historical Collection Vol. 39, p.267-293