Probate Court House
The Probate Court is a neoclassical style building on Essex Street was built in 1909.
A modern addition was built in the back of the main building in 1979.
After the J. Michael Ruane Courthouse was completed in 2011, the plan was to renovate the Probate Court.
Work began in the fall of 2014 on the new addition to the Probate Court. The interior will also
be renovated. The work should be done by the end of 2016.
The new addition will house the judges' lobbies, a courtroom and operational space, but will be
significantly smaller than the old one and mirror more the style of the 1909 building.
Following its renovation, the Essex County Probate and Family Court will be renamed for retired judge Thaddeus M. Buczko. It's re-opening was March 6, 2017.
The courthouse was rededicated to Thaddeus "Ted" Buczko on April 27th, 2017.
Vertical File in Salem Collection - Salem Court
"Probate court project advances; time capsule discovered in demolished addition's basement." Salem News, Nov. 7, 2014.
"A grand tribute: renovated courthouse re-dedicated in honor or longtime judge" Salem News, Apr. 28, 2017, p. 1
Architecture in Salem B. Tolles, p.119-120